Ministry of Labour Focusing on Musculoskeletal Hazards in the Workplace, What you Need to Know
Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) account for a significant portion (approximately one-third) of all accepted WSIB lost time claims. In 2017, there were 19,000 claims, 462,000 days lost from work, and $72 million in direct WSIB costs.
In light of this startling data, The Ministry of Labour (MOL) has announced, among other things, that it will begin focusing on Musculoskeletal hazards in the workplace as part of it’s Provincial health and safety initiatives program in 2019-2020. Inspectors will focus on the following sectors:
- Construction (see Construction Sector Compliance Plan, 2019 – 2020) https://www.ontario.ca/page/construction-sector-compliance-plan-2019-2020#section-3
- Healthcare (See Healthcare Sector Compliance Plan, 2019 – 2020) https://www.ontario.ca/page/health-care-sector-compliance-plan-2019-2020#section-3
- Industrial (See Industrial Sector Compliance Plan, 2019 – 2020) https://www.ontario.ca/page/industrial-sector-compliance-plan-2019-2020#section-3
- Mining (See Mining Sector Compliance Plan, 2019 – 2020) https://www.ontario.ca/page/mining-sector-compliance-plan-2019-2020#section-3
The program will be rolled out in two phases:
- In phase 1, there will be compliance assistance offered with all health and safety associations beginning September, 2019 through December, 2019
- In phase 2, focused inspections will be conducted from October, 2019 through December 2019
For more information about the Ministry of Labour Workplace Inspection Initiatives, click the link: https://www.ontario.ca/page/workplace-inspection-initiatives?mc_cid=5a84c08c0e&mc_eid=deaa472ae9#section-1
How Gowan Consulting Can Help:
Gowan Consuting can assist you in ensuring that you are prepared for any MSD inspection. Contact us for more information, and don’t forget to check out our workshops on MSD Prevention:
- Basics of MSD Prevention & Hazard Assessment Tools for MSD https://gowanhealth.com/product/basics-of-msd-prevention-hazard-assessment-tools-for-msd/
- Advanced Workshop on Implementation of MSD Prevention Strategies https://gowanhealth.com/product/advanced-workshop-on-implementation-of-msd-prevention-strategies/
We also have a number of different resources to assist you with the health and safety demands of your business, including:
- Provide support for policy and procedures development.
- Train managers and employees on the duty to accommodate.
- Provide objective Occupational Therapy assessments for accommodation requests.
If you would like to learn more about workplace accommodations, please check out our services for Providing Early Intervention and Return to Work planning.
Gowan Consulting has many resources to assist employees with accommodation concerns. If you’d like to learn more about workplace accommodations or return to work, book one of our upcoming fall workshops! Book now to secure your spot, and take advantage of our early-bird pricing!
- RTW Facilitation Skills Workshop happening this November 11-13, in London ON
- Mental Health and Return to Work happening this September 24-25, in Mississauga ON
We also have webinars on Accommodation, Mental Health, Return to Work and several other topics if self-learning is more your thing!Want to know how we can assist you personally in the workplace? Contact Us!
Ministry of Labour, Workplace Inspection Initiatives, Provincial Health and Safety Initiatives, (2019 – 2020) https://www.ontario.ca/page/workplace-inspection-initiatives?mc_cid=5a84c08c0e&mc_eid=deaa472ae9#section-1
Ministry of Labour, Construction Sector Compliance Plan https://www.ontario.ca/page/construction-sector-compliance-plan-2019-2020#section-3
Ministry of Labour, Mining Sector Compliance Plan https://www.ontario.ca/page/mining-sector-compliance-plan-2019-2020#section-3
Ministry of Labour, Healthcare Sector Compliance Plan https://www.ontario.ca/page/health-care-sector-compliance-plan-2019-2020#section-3
Ministry of Labour, Healthcare Sector Compliance Plan https://www.ontario.ca/page/industrial-sector-compliance-plan-2019-2020#section-3