March 8th was International Women’s Day!
March 8 was International Women’s Day (IWD) which is celebrated each year across the globe on March 8th. This powerful movement was adopted by the United Nations in 1975, and is a day of togetherness, celebration, reflection, and action. IWD helps drive action against gender bias and toward a more gender equal world. According to the Government of Canada, gender equality “Increases economic prosperity, promotes peace and security, upholds fairness and justice in our society, and ultimately creates happier and healthier communities.”
The government of Canada has created a powerful Women of Impact in Canada gallery dedicated to the incredible achievements of many great women throughout history. By honoring these women, and highlighting their achievements, we help inspire women everywhere to reach for their full potential, despite the limitations that still exist in all corners of society. To learn more about the Women of Impact in Canada gallery, click here.
#BecauseOfYou helps highlight all of the incredible and resilient gender equality advocates we know in our lives. Many powerful and brave women all over the world who have chosen to lead from the front, are affecting real change and setting an example for women everywhere. “Let’s all encourage young people to find a career based on what they love, regardless of their gender. When we all do what we enjoy, we will do our best.” – Dr. Donna Strickland
#EachforEqual is about collective individualism, and according to the IWD website, this theme helps highlight the fact that although we are more powerful as a community, our individual actions can have a massive impact on the bigger picture. “We need more mentors! Mentors were instrumental to me throughout my career. They guided my personal and professional development and helped me realize that being a successful scientist is compatible with being a woman too.” – Dr. Mona Nemer
To learn more about how you can join the conversation and help make a difference, visit the International Women’s Day website here.
Supporting the Rights of Women in Your Workplace
- Acknowledge and recognize the women in your workplace through advancement in the C suites, promotion into leadership roles, and equal seats at the table.
- Enforce a safe and inclusive work environment – check out our webinars on implementing violence, bullying and harassment prevention plans in the workplace or on sexual harassment.
- Reduce inequality in pay and positions for women in your workplace.
- Give equal opportunities for advancement, further education and development of skill set.
- Encourage and highlight the achievements of the women in your workplace.
- Offer support for work-life balance.
- Consider programs and benefits that support women.
Gowan Consulting is WBE Certified
Gowan Consulting has achieved the certification of WBE Canada. This certifies that our business is more than 51% owned and operated by women. More than 90% of our Occupational Therapists are women and our administrative team is primarily women.
Celebrating the Women of Gowan Consulting
Here are some of the women who make what we do here at Gowan Consulting possible!
- Nancy Gowan: As company CEO, Senior Occupational Therapist, Trainer, and Keynote Speaker, this company literally would not exist without Nancy’s drive, ambition and success! Without Nancy’s success, the rest of us wouldn’t have capitalized on our success within this company.
- Melanie Weller: Director of Strategy and Operations and Senior Occupational Therapist, Melanie is always driving change to make our company the best it can be. We’re lucky and grateful for all she’s done and continues to do in her 18 years with Gowan Consulting!
- Mary Ann Kaczmarek: We are expanding in areas all over Canada thanks to our Network Manager! When we need new subcontractors to come on board, Mary Ann finds one without fail! We would not be able to change and influence as many lives as we have as a company without Mary Ann!
- Bonnie Patterson and Melanie McLeod: Our referral coordinators work their absolute hardest to make sure that all our referrals are assigned within one business day. They drive customer satisfaction and do their very best to meet the demands of every unique referral we receive. Bonnie and Melanie always take on new challenges and never back down!
- Allison Rutkevich: As our corporate controller, we would be completely lost without Allison’s budgeting, dedication, and speedy accounting processes. Allison helps this company stay out of the red and progress in an upward direction every single day!
- Monique Lunn: As our bookkeeper, Monique ensures that your invoices are accurate and timely. She also ensures that our accounts receivable and payable processes are smooth, keeping us growing and giving back.
- Dionne Levesque and Danielle Payne: What would we do without our super editors?! Our completed reports wouldn’t be as beautiful, error-free and on time without their hard work and attention to detail!
- Marlene Morse, Jennifer Landry, Antonella Finateri, and Kerry Ann Suteu: As our clinical leads and Occupational Therapists they objectively assess employee’s capabilities and drive results, leaving our clients and customers happy! Everyone who works with our Occupational Therapists have nothing but positive things to say about their professionalism, capabilities, and hard work. They drive change in the lives of others and work hard to help everyone they meet live their most meaningful lives!
- Our Occupational Therapists across Canada: The large percentage of our Occupational Therapists are women. They provide support for your ergonomic and accommodation needs and work to save lives everyday! We are so proud of our roster of support all over Canada and we could not do what we do without this amazing team.
For more on all we do, contact us!
International Women’s Day, IWD2020, https://www.internationalwomensday.com/
Gov of Canada, International Women’s Day, https://cfc-swc.gc.ca/commemoration/iwd-jif/index-en.html