Do You Need Occupational Therapy?
An Occupational Therapist is a health professional who works collaboratively with workplace parties to support an employee who is returning to work or staying at work with physical, emotional, cognitive and workplace performance concerns. Gowan Consulting supports employees in learning the skills and tools to return to work successfully. Our Occupational Therapists understand the importance of having the right support to get back to the game of life at home and work.
This includes everyday activities, ranging anywhere from getting dressed in the morning, going to work or school, and participating in leisure activities. Occupational Therapists assist their clients with occupying their time in an effective, productive, and meaningful manner. While it is a health care that is often delivered in schools and skill building programs, one of the most common places for Occupational Therapy to occur is the workplace. Watch our video by Melanie Weller to learn more about the importance of Occupational Therapy!
How Can an Occupational Therapist Assist You?
Occupational Therapists can assist in multiple different areas of concern in the workplace. An Occupational Therapist can provide education and make suggestions to improve the work environment, including injury and risk prevention strategies. Assessments of the employee and their capabilities can also be provided, as well as reactivation programs and return to work programs to transition an employee back to work following a leave of absence. Other services include accommodations, stay at work solutions, education sessions and much more, all of which ultimately lead to healthier and more productive workers and positive work environments. To learn more about the services we provide, visit gowanhealth.com or contact us for more information.
How to Know When You Need Occupational Therapy
There are various reasons why an employee may require Occupational Therapy intervention. Some of the signs or reasons an individual may need an Occupational Therapist’s intervention include the following:
- Discomfort or pain in the workplace. An Occupational Therapist can provide an ergonomic assessment to assess the ergonomics of an employee’s workstation.
- Difficulty completing the demands of a job. An Occupational Therapist can provide an assessment of the employee, the work, and the work tools. The OT will provide strategies to support the employee in improving performance through offering work adjustments, strategies, or tools.
- Illness or injury. If an employee is away from work due to illness or injury, an Occupational Therapist can assess the best way for an employee to return to work.
- Difficulty communicating. If a work team is struggling to communicate well, an Occupational Therapist can provide the employees with training and communication skills to improve team performance.
- Need for workplace accommodations. If an employee is starting work but requires some accommodations in the workplace, an Occupational Therapist can provide a comprehensive assessment so that practical adjustments can be made to allow the employee to continue to work.
- The workplace or workstations are being redesigned. An Occupational Therapist can reduce barriers to allow all employees to be included in the workplace. An OT will use universal design of workplaces and ergonomic improvements to improve accessibility and comfort.
- Difficulty supporting employees in distress. An Occupational Therapist can provide managers with training to encourage communication and tools that work for all employees. Check out our Manager Mental Health Training taking place on January 26th 2021.
- Support for psychological health and safety. If the workplace requires support for Psychological Health and Safety, an Occupational Therapist can assess the risks in the organization. The OT can help to develop programs and processes to remind employees of available resources, improve management of workload, increase civility, and provide psychological support services. The OT will assist managers in understanding how to communicate support and reduce the stigma around physical and mental well-being.
- Organizational changes. An Occupational Therapist can assist with the process of change to support employee productivity and provide tools to improve the success of long term changes in the organization.
Gowan Consulting specializes in the area of Occupational Therapy. We have Occupational Therapists all over Canada that can assist with making your workplace healthier. We can assist with anything from ergonomic assessments to reactivation and return to work. We’d love to hear from you. Contact us now to find out how we can help you in the workplace.
Gowan Consulting currently has multiple other resources as well! Check out our training programs and resources below.
- Assist managers in developing the skills to identify and support employees in distress – our newest date for Manager Mental Health Training is January 26th, 2021 at 12:30pm to 4:30pm EST.
- Check out our extensive array of webinars. They cover topics such as mental health, home ergonomics, tips for working during COVID-19, and more. We are also now offering a bundle deal to help you get a Fresh Start for 2021. Get the webinar bundle for yourself or for your whole organization!
- Listen to Nicolette Gowan’s new meditation series “In the Now with Nicolette”—now for free on Youtube!
- Ask us about our comprehensive Mental Health – Crisis Fatigue Package for your team. We have resources and tools that can assist you with having a mental health support program for yourself and your employees.
- TIPS for Return to the Workplace Program– Consider enrolling in our new 4-session work-focused CBT program to assist you or your employees in having the strategies to successfully return to or stay at work.
For more on all we have to offer, contact us! We want to help make a difference in your healthy business!